Saturday, January 26, 2008

Birds!

Time to brag about my wife's Uncle Alan and his great nature photography. I do this every now and again by showing off a sample of his work and encouraging you to go and visit his website. Lots of info on the little birdies (and big birdies) as well.

I present:


Yes, I am a bad-ass! So, do not even THINK of messing with me.

This one is an example of chowing down on the fly. :-) If the food is small enough, the eagles will eat it mid-flight, not wanting to waste any time landing and all. Some of us can relate as we stop by our local fast food restaurants and grab the burger/taco/hot dog Du jour. Invariably making a mess on your brand new shirt or pants. At least the eagle's slop will just fall harmlessly to the river, or land that it is flying over. Harmless unless you happen to be under it, of course.



This one is just creeps me out a little, because it looks like a vulture. Which just means, to me at least, to not get in it's way while he/she is on the hunt. How do you tell if an eagle is a male or female? I really have no idea, maybe you can find out at the site. Maybe you should go check it out. Just maybe. :-)



Last one from the eagle parade... Here's looking at you, kid!




For those that aren't eagle-centric, here is a hummingbird. This picture serves two purposes, one it shows you a hummingbird (duh!), and second, it is a break from the cold weather. Not too many of these guys/gals will be around here in the -10 degrees of fun! I must confess though, it is no longer that cold, on the way in this morning, the car thermometer said 36! Woo Hoo! Don't fret it won't get above twenty next week. Lovely.


Here is a male and female cardinal. I love the lines of this bird, I think it is one of the coolest birds out there and I am proud to have a couple of cardinal families in my backyard. Too bad I don't care too much for their baseball and football teams...



These next two pictures of a Red-tailed Hawk, are pretty interesting. He/she had some, I think they were sparrows, harassing it. Probably because he/she got too close to their nest. Anyway, my wife's uncle said he never saw anything like this, when the sparrow actually was flying on the hawk's back. And he has pictures to prove it.



That's it, for now. If you want to see more, just mosey on over to here. Or you can wait a few weeks, and I am sure that I will post more.

Have a great day!!



2 comments:

  1. If you're into that Eagle flight, nail-the-hapless-prey-thing, you'll need to pay a visit down here next fall. It's the entr'act to an Auburn home football game: "Warrrr Eagle!"

    Check this out (sorry I don't know how to put active links in comments):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTuemF1Rd4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool!

    I have been a fan of Auburn ever since my Dad came back from some Officer Training School in, Montgomery I think, and brought us back shirts. I was ten and my brother seven. He got an Alabama, and I got an Auburn. Trust me, we lived that rivalry!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!