Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Book Meme

This is for Jenni over at Miller Time...

Here are the rules:
1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.


Okay, the nearest book of at least that length is.... Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

This is what I found after sentence number 5...
"He came back with the record's slipcase, which he handed to me. The record was called Cat House Piano. It was of unaccompanied piano by Meade Lux Lewis."

Not as earth-shattering or as noble as Jenni's choice, but it was the closest book, and one I am currently reading (been on a Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. kick for some reason).

Now I will give you a bonus Meme, and pick another book that is nearby.... Lisey's Story by Stephen King.

This is what I found for this book...
"That wakes her up most of the way,because it scares her. What is he saying? That he wants to break up?"

Wow, that is pretty lame as well. One more chance, this one comes from Skeleton Coast by Clive Cussler.

Sure to be some action, at least I hope so....
"'I can feel it.' Juan turned to his friend, catching his eye so there would be no misunderstanding. 'Do you remember what I told you just before we took on those two guys from NUMA headed for Hong Kong harbor?'"

A little better, with mostly dialogue. So which one do you think you are more apt to read? Any? All? None?

Now for the fun part, who do I tag?

Why no one, of course.

It's a freebie.

So enjoy.

Tootles.

2 comments:

  1. "A second and equally important strategy suggested in Plato is the detailed functional imagining of lives lived both outside and inside of the science of measurement. When, in the SYMPOSIUM, he follows Diotima's speech with the speech of Alcibiades; when, in the REPUBLIC, he describes every minute circumstance of the new lives he envisages; when in the PHAEDRUS, he vividly describes the lives and feelings of rather different people, showing us the value of *that* -- in all these cases Plato seems to me to be doing the sort of tough work of imagination that is required for anyone who is going to make an informed choice in this matter. We need to follow his lead."

    (Good thing all of her sentences aren't as long as that second one.)

    Martha Nussbaum, LOVE'S KNOWLEDGE (New York: Oxford University Press, 1990).

    I'm doing this in my office, so that's actually much more translucent than most of the alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Passing behind Kalynne is very embarrassing. I must write I like S King's books. Quite ordinary, I assume. I've read most of his success except short stories. I can't explain, I don't like short stories, in general. Maybe frustration. I've lurked (thanks for my day-word) at your posts (very prolific today, congratulations) and I have nothing to add. Bonsoir.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!