Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Prayer for Everyone

These are the words Jesus taught us...

Traditional...

Our Father,
Who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen.
Newer Version...
Our Father,
Who is in heaven,
Holy is Your Name;
Your kingdom come,
Your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen.
Where is comes from...
Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke 11:2-4.
Have a blessed day!




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing both versions. My Mom said this prayer as our bedtime prayer as children and it always makes me feel warm, fuzzy, & loved...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a child I thought it was in totemptation. I didn't know what totemptation meant, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Notre Père
    Qui es aux cieux
    Que Ton Nom soit sanctifié
    Qhe Ton Règne vienne,
    Que Ta Voloté soit faîte,
    Sur la terre comme au ciel,
    Donne nous aujourd'hui notre pain de ce jour,
    Pardonne nous nos offenses,
    Comme nous pardonnons aussi à ceux qui nous ont offensés,
    Et ne nous soumets pas à la tentation,
    Mais délivre nous du mal,
    Amen.
    Préviously this prayer was said using 'vous' as a mark of respect. Today, we say "tu" as if God was very close to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recite it at least twice a day.
    Here's a question for you:
    I was raised hearing "...For thine is the Kingdom, the Power and the Glory,forever. Amen", at the end of the prayer. Do you know anything about why it is included by some people and not others? I'm not Catholic, but a lot of my husband's family is and I think that it has been left off in all the Catholic services I've been to, if I remember correctly...

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!