Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Prayer For Death

No, it's not for me, I mean come on, it's just an election.

I am over that phase, for now.

It's the answer to a question I asked two days ago... one that no one even tried to answer :(

That's okay, I'm over that too. :)

It is a prayer that Tobit prayed to God, when he was in despair after a few things went wrong for him and his family. You need a Catholic Bible to read it though.

Yes, it's one of those seven. Sorry, a little Catholic humor for you. Fear not, I imagine that there are a lot of Catholics that don't even know the book exists, which is sad. Actually, there is a great part of Tobit that is used during some wedding masses. There's a new question for you... what verses?

Okay, on with the prayer...

You are righteous, O Lord, and all your deeds are just;
All your ways are mercy and truth;
you are the judge of the world.

And now, O Lord, may you be mindful of me, and look with favor upon me.
Punish me not for my sins,
nor for my inadvertent offenses,
nor for those of my fathers.
They sinned against you, and disobeyed your commandments.
So you handed us over to plundering, exile, and death,
till we were an object lesson, a byword,
a reproach in all the nations among whom you scattered us.

"Yes, your judgments are many and true
in dealing with me as my sins and those of my fathers deserve.
For we have not kept your commandments,
nor have we trodden the paths of truth before you.

"So now,
deal with me as you please,
and command my life breath to be taken from me,
that I may go from the face of the earth into dust.
It is better for me to die than to live,
because I have heard insulting calumnies,
and I am overwhelmed with grief.
Lord,
command me to be delivered from such anguish;
let me go to the everlasting abode;
Lord, refuse me not.
For it is better for me to die than to endure so much misery in life,
and to hear these insults!



3 comments:

  1. I'm not Catholic but do like the prayers you've been posting. Would answer the questions if I even had a smidge of a clue. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Tobit, dear. But, you knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That was a... different one. I don't believe I've seen one that asks to not be punished for ones sins before,
    And the part asking for God not to punish a person for someone else's transgressions. That was one to ponder. I never really considered getting called on something someone else did.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!