Monday, March 10, 2008

Something I Know... And Enjoy

I have an easy list idea for tonight, and it's something that I can't be wrong about, because it's mine, all mine I say... so there.

TOP TEN BOOKS OF ALL (YES I SAID ALL) TIME!!
(in no particular order, due to the fact that I am pulling them out of my... well, you know, and it will no doubt change in a matter of days and or weeks.)

1. The Stand by Stephen King - Absolutely fantabulous! I know that isn't a word, but it was how I feel as I was typing. This story is about a killer flu and more about those that survived it. Great characters and great stories throughout. Not a big fan of how he wrapped it all up, but hey, I don't think that I like any of Stephen King endings. It almost seems like he just ran out of gas, which in this case, was quite a large tank. Highly recommended, but so is everything else on this list. Otherwise these wouldn't be the TTBOA(YISA)T!!

2. The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks - Made in the vein of Tolkien, but not as rich. Does that make sense? Oh well, it is a great read and one that I revisit every other year, or so. Flick is my favorite character, or maybe it was Balinor. Tough choice. Great fantasy novel, and one you may enjoy. You'll never know unless you try. :)

3. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - If you like British humour (yes I added a 'u') then you will like this space fantasy of the absurd. Easy to read and you will be amazed that you are into the third book all of a sudden. Unless, of course, you don't have the complete series in one convenient binder like I do. Then you will have been reading your palm prints for a while.

4. Pet Semetary by Stephen King - I think that this was one of the scariest books I have read. Maybe it's because I have pets, I don't know. I do know that I did not like reading this alone and in a darkened room, well I did have a reading light on, so it wasn't completely dark.

5. Inca Gold by Clive Cussler - One of the better Dirk Pitt adventure novels out there, although I recommend all of them, and when you get those finished try the Kurt Austin series and the Oregon Files by the same author. Of course if you don't like adventure novels, then... you might want to stay away. Did I mention that they also have mystery and intrigue involved? Try it, you might like it.

6. The Holy Bible (Catholic version, of course) - Talk about your stories! Wow!! Highly recommended for every age. Trust me on this one. Go for the Catholic version because it has seven bonus chapters!

7. The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Suess - Classic drawings, classic story telling, just pure magic with a great moral behind it, even. Plus, who can't resist all those "things?"

8. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens - Probably my all time favorite story, ever. I even like the movies, well most of them anyway.

9. The Black Stallion by (the name escapes me at the moment. Maybe I will fill it in later, I think that it is Farley, or something like that.) - Anyway, it's a great story about a boy and a horse that become great friends and successful in horse racing - of course, I might have the whole series of them mixed up, but I enjoyed them all.

10. Mr. Murder by Dean Koontz - I like this book so much that I bought it twice. Granted I had forgotten that I bought it already, then I gave it to Jenni for her birthday and told her how great a story it was, and she agreed, because we had both already read the copy I purchased a while before. Did that make sense? Whew!

I can think of many more that I have enjoyed. These ten just came to the top of the book pile, so to speak. Like I said, next week it could be a different ten.

That's it for me, it's 11:15 and I am going to sleep.

Night all and God Bless!

3 comments:

  1. Can't you give us a french translation of the titles :) "le Fléau" S.KING, I've read a lot of his books, and my favorite is maybe "The Green Mile". Not to much sci-fi or horror, but good characters.
    "Un chant de Noël" C.DICKENS.
    I will try to find some of them.
    Still a good idea, this books list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a bunch of those...the Bible is always in the mix, but the rest...3, 7, 8, 9...all good books. I LOVE the Hitchhiker's Guide...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My question is do you have the fourth book in the trillogy of Hitchhikers? I love those books so much!!
    Did you see the movie Pet Cemetary? That one scared me so bad - I squished the can from the beer I was drinking & I squeezed my boyfriend's arm so hard I left bruises. The end was horrid - the kid walking down the hall...gives me the shivers just thinking about it & that was YEARS ago!!
    Love Seuss, my fave books to read with the kiddos.
    I forgot about The black stallion -awesome!
    And of course, the Bible. The best book like, EVER! But seeing as I'm not Catholic I go for those other versions :)
    Love your lists man.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!