Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Let's Talk About Passion

My passion. I want to share something with you ( a new list) that I am very passionate about. So much so, that I will now dedicate a list to it.


BOOKS I HAVE READ THIS YEAR (technically the past six months)
(in no particular order)

1. Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. -- I feel for the man. What a depressing story, oh sure it has moments of pure brilliance, but the over all effect was such that I didn't actually enjoy reading it. Very anti-climatic and depressing.

2. Redwall by Brian Jacques -- A fun fantasy story about rodents. How's that for an endorsement? Seriously, think Watership Down, then think on a much broader scope. Very well written and from what I hear, the rest of the books in the series are pretty good as well.

3. Skeleton Coast by Clive Cussler with Jack Du Brul -- classic action-adventure that deals with ghost ships, strange sea monsters and a disaster that will destroy life on earth, as we know it. I love this kind of stuff!!

(Just thought I would throw in a little note here.... my computer keeps pausing, for lack of a better term, and since I'm not really watching what I am writing, there may be some, er... errors. Sorry.)

4. The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen -- First novel that I have read by this young lady. Interesting concept that pits a "club" of scholars after 'Satan.' Yes, I said Satan. They believe that he lives among us, even today. Well, I believe that, but I don't necessarily believe the way Tess deals with it. I felt, not betrayed, but rather annoyed. That means that there must have been some Catholic bashing then, right Bug? You got it dude.

(I'm thinking that this shut down of Blogger is going to correct this pausing crap. I hope so, because it is VERY ANNOYING!)

5. Frankenstein (Book One Prodigal Son) by Dean Koontz -- another cool concept, Frankenstein - that would be Dr. Frankenstein, is still alive and doing his thing. I really enjoyed reading this book and will have to look for book two. I have already, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. So if you see it, let me know. :)

6. Rage by Jonathan Kellerman -- An Alex Delaware novel, which follows psychologist Delaware and his partner in crime-fighting Milo Sturgis, a gay police LT. Written in the first person, it follows the crime-solving from a "personal" experience, meaning that you can't help but to be in Alex's head, since he's the one narrating.

7. Ministry through the Lens of Evangelization -- Yes, I do read non-fiction! This is basically the transcripts from the major presentations of the North American Institute for Catholic Evangelizing. A very interesting read, believe it or not, and it gives some great ideas on how Catholics can evangelize their faith to others.

8. The Incredible Book of Vatican Facts and Papal Curiosities ( A Treasury of Trivia) by Nino Lo Bello -- The title pretty much says it all, and you can learn interesting tidbits like 'How many rooms are in the papal residence?' or 'Which Pope was vetoed by an Emperor? Maybe I can use this info for a new list... Cool, eh?

9. Lisey's Story by Stephen King -- (I'm getting frustrated by this pausing action, so these last few notes will be short, maybe.) This is a story about going through the grieving process after losing a spouse. I imagine it can be hard to go through, I don't know and don't really want to, thank you very much. But the way that Lisey deals with it, is rather ... a Stephen King - ish. How's that for an adjective? Or is it an adverb? I hate English, but I love writing how about that paradox? :)

10. The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. -- Another farce and again very depressing.... I actually read this one first, of the two Vonnegut stories. I don't think that I will read another, for a while.

11. Duma Key by Stephen King (in progress)

12. High Druid of Shannara - Straken by Terry Brooks (in progress)

13. Catechism of the Catholic Church (always in progress)

14. The Holy Bible (always in progress)

15. St. John Bosco (in progress, should be finished tonight, especially if I get stopped by a train.)

16. Genesis of Shannara - Elves of Cintra by Terry Brooks (in line)

17 Genesis of Shannara - Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks -- Already read this one, just forgot to add it to the above lists but the "pausing" is keeping me from going back and throwing this in the middle. If it's working better, when I get home, maybe I will fix it. Otherwise you will just have to deal with it. :)

Bye-bye and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!