Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Read, It Will Make You Better

The only really good place to buy lumber is at a store where the lumber has already been cut and attached together in the form of furniture, finished, and put inside boxes. ~ Dave Barry
I wonder why all writer's tell you that you should read a lot to help you write? I'm thinking it's because they want you to get completely distracted while reading their work, or even someone else's that you don't have the time to write.

What do you think?

I mean I have been reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower (currently in book 4, Wizard and Glass) and have absolutely no inclination to write anything, until I finish the story. That means I have three and a half more books to read, and they keep getting longer.

I'm sure there is an ulterior motive to it, I just know.

Excuse me while I head back to Roland and the gang. I'm sure I will be really motivated by then. If not, I'm going to head over to Maine (actually I'm headed there this summer) and knock on Mr. King's door.

I wonder if he'll answer.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh! Read "On Writing" by said author. It'll inspire you to write if nothing will. Plus, it's a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I went to Maine about 12 years ago to celebrate our 25th Anniversary and we stayed at a Bed and Breakfast in Cape Cod and then traveled up the coast to stay in a B&B in Southwest Harbor (I think that was the name of it). It was across the bay from Bar Harbor.

    Anyway, the B&B was an old boarding house...it looked huge and almost from the outside, in the night, looked almost haunted. It turned out that just before we were there, Stephen King made his mini-series "Storm of the Century" in their town. It was a very, cute and quaint looking place. I just loved it there! I'm not sure if the same owner is at that B&B or not, but it was really a nice place to stay.

    The cool thing was watching the Storm of the Century when it aired and seeing all the little stores that we had stopped in and recognizing the town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Ellen - We are planning on going camping near Bar Harbor, at Acadia National Park. We're going in early June, so it might be a little on the chilly side, but we're all excited because it's a place that none of us has ever been to.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!