Thursday, February 12, 2009

What's In A Name

Jenni and I had a humorous conversation as we lay in bed last night. It all had to do with our future child and their name.

Names are tough. You can't just throw a couple of names together for us, not a chance. We like a nice smooth flow. Names that roll of the tongue and seem to be perfect matches. Names that it will be very difficult to be made fun of. See we are sensitive parents that do not want our children to suffer through incessant teasing.

Okay, that is Jenni's idea.

I already had my names picked out before we got married. I was going to have six daughters named: Samantha, Tabitha, Jessica, Rebecca, Veronica and Jennifer. I know the last one doesn't exactly fit the pattern, but I was, and still am, in love with Jennifer. Which is why I feel so honored to be married to her. :)

There is a saying that goes something like this: "Tell God your plans, and He'll laugh." Or something like that. Because I obviously do not have six daughters (yet!), and only one of my six names have been used (Jessica).

Back to last night's conversation.

J - Abigail? Me - Yes.

J - Abigail Elizabeth? Me - Yes.

J - Abigail Cecelia? Me - Umm. Don't like the flow, but I like that it's your grandmother's name.

J - Yeah.

Me - Abigail Marie? J - No, too much like Alice Marie (My mom's name)

As you can tell, if our next child is a girl, she will be an Abigail.

J - Joseph Me - Don't like Joey, and we have one across the street.

J - Henry Me - No. J - George, Me -Interesting, since my parents called me George for the first two plus years of my life. Don't ask, even they don't know why.

Jenni then burps and it sounds like Baaa raaaa ckkkk. Uh, no. no. no.

We went back and forth with names, until I fall asleep.

This morning at work, Jenni calls me and starts to recite boy's names from the 1910s.

You just KNOW that we're going to have a boy now.

Good Night and God Bless,

3 comments:

  1. Names from the 1910s are totally in these days. There's nothing wrong with Ulysses, or Jefferson or Stonewall or Nathan or my favorite... Braxton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for information, because it's a typically French first name that you can't use, but we love it meaning = Vianney. Have you heard of him ? It's a family name used nowadays as a first name.

    Funny, to watch how the choice is a cultural thing. In our country, we're using old and classical names too. Georges and Henry are in fashion too.
    Abigaƫl is the name of Gabriel's friend. She's 5 years old.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!