Thursday, February 14, 2008

History Repeated?

Not a good history at that.

Another school shooting at a university, Northern Illinois University, in DeKalb, Illinois. Roughly 40 miles from where I sit at this moment. This is a really bad trend that is happening lately at schools at all levels, unfortunately.

What can be done about it? I don't know, but I wish there was something that could be done to make these kids feel safer. Better yet, I wish there was a way to tell if someone was about to try something like this and get them help. I'm sure all of our politicians will come out with new ideas for newer and stronger laws; laws that will inevitably take away freedoms from law-abiding people and give criminals a little more courage to break them.

Okay, no time for soapboxes.

Please keep everyone at NIU in your prayers, including the families of those affected by this tragic event.

Hail Mary...

2 comments:

  1. A tv reporting has just informed us of this tragedy. They even told us that it was the 5th attack in a week!
    It would be easy to answer by forbidding the arms sales. But in France, (where this is the case for our legislation) only delinquents manage to possess arms! It seems to be really easy for them.
    So we haven't find the answer either. But, here, these gunfire attacks in schools or universities never happens. Students agress each other sometimes, but never so implacably. As there is no words to explain a such violence, it will be hard to find an answer.Maybe only prevention, these murderers are also suicidal, so, as you write, if I've well understood, if someone had noted a changing in their behaviour, one might have informed the authorities.(sorry for sequence of tenses, not enough time to search)
    Let's pray for these harmless students and their families. catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is senseless and, unfortunately, more common than it really should be. I agree with you that if you make guns illegal only the criminals will have them, so I don't think adding another law to the books will help. It would be nice to set up "gun-free" zones around the schools, but I think there already are laws that state this. Like I said, I wish I had the answers, or that someone did. What will happen now, will be candidates running around saying that they have the answer, just to get elected. Ah, politics how I dislike thee sometimes. I guess that there is another 16 kids that were injured during this debacle, so keep them in your prayers as well.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!