Saturday, June 21, 2008

16 Years Ago...


This beautiful lady said "I do."


June 21, 1992 is a day that will forever live in my top days of all time. It is the day that Jenni and I became one. We were married at St. Robert Bellarmine Catholic Church in Chicago, Illinois at 2PM.


I will never forget the feeling of having my breathe taken away when Jenni and her Dad walked up that aisle, towards me. I still have to pinch myself when I think about how lucky I am, the introvert, to marry such a beautiful woman. To think that our love affair started five years prior with a letter...


I was stationed in the United Kingdom, in the Air Force, learning a trade that would be good to me - even if I didn't enjoy it 100%. I would write to several friends, this is before email was a common communication device, and my cousin Tanya, in Colorado. I was 19 at the time and Tanya was 16 and still in High School. My cousin and I were always pretty close, so we wrote each other regularly. Jenni was a friend of Tanya's and they hung out together a lot, so naturally Tanya talked about Jenni, so I would always tell Tanya to say hi to Jenni, whenever I wrote her.


One day, I got a letter from Tanya, that had a note from Jenni in it. I guess Tanya did as I asked and Jenni, being the good sport, agreed to write a little something. For the next six months we wrote each other pretty consistently, some more than others. Some days I would write her three or four letters (hey, I liked to write and I liked Jenni, what more can I say) and basically inundate her with my pearls of wisdom, or something like that.


I was in love, and just knew she was the one for me. Even when I first met her face to face. Now remember I am quite shy, of course no one believes that but it is true. I flew home that December for Christmas, and my friend Marnie's wedding. I had just been at my parents house for a couple of hours, when who shows up; Jenni and Tanya.


OMG!


If I was a turtle, I would have crawled inside my shell, as it was my brothers were there and they like to remind me of how I turned into a statue. I think that was the only time I have ever felt speechless. I didn't know what to say, or even how to speak for that matter. Meanwhile even my thoughts were screaming at me, telling me to say something, anything! I blamed it on jet lag and not my own insecurities, but still. Looking back on that day, I still wonder and marvel at how things have turned out.


She told me later that she thought I was pretty much a loser, and blamed me for the speeding ticket she got on the way back to her house. I was, and I apologized for making her run away as fast as she could, that she got pulled over and got a speeding ticket. We did get together more, pretty much every day, after that first day. She gave me the first of many second chances.


Praise God!


After I went back to England, it was hard to maintain any kind of relationship, per se, and we continued to write each other and occasionally I would call her on the phone. However, by the time I got back from England and was stationed in Abilene, Texas (UGH!) we were more or less on talking terms. She has always been more of a social butterfly than me, and well... We'll call that the 'Dark Ages of Roger and Jenni.' We both had different relationships, but I ALWAYS had Jenni on my mind, so you can imagine how those poor girls must have felt competing with my one TRUE LOVE.


Here is an example of how "romantic" I am/was. After we starting talking and seeing each other on a more regular and serious basis (remember I'm still living in Texas and she's still in Colorado), I just knew that I was going to marry her. So, we went to a Zales, and she picked out a ring that I purchased, and then as we got in the car to head back to her house, I turned to her and said; "By the way, will you marry me?"


What romance, eh? She, of course, laughed and said; " Let me think about it."


Oh crap!


She then started laughing some more and said that of course she would.


Whew!


The rest as they say is history. A great history filled with blood, sweat and tears that is required for making a loving relationship. The blood was mostly mine, because I have this thing with hammers and various other tools - I'll save that for another day.


So here we are sixteen years and six kids later, if this isn't true happiness then I don't know what is.


I LOVE YOU JENNI!! Now, forever and always!!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your anneversary. You two have a great story.
    Only one thing - I wanna see a pic of the both of you from your wedding day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Jenni has changed you! Who's the "social butterfly", today? Would you have thought at this time you would write about you 16 years later?
    Congratulation Jenni and Roger, you can be proud of these 16 years and the wonderful family you "created"and those years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was just the sweetest. What a fun story. I am laughing that you were stuck in the black hole of Abilene. We were stationed at Dyess a few years ago too.

    Happy Anniversary! Party like it is 1992!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I hope you had a lovely Anniversary...I KNOW you have a lovely life. Thanks for the heads up on the Deacon's Bench and Anchoress sites.
    Blessings, EJT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally sweet! Happy Anniversary to the both of you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!