Monday, June 9, 2008

Bring Onions Sometime, Need I Ask?

OK, so I am trying a new approach to this whole blogging thing. Don't know if it is going to work, but starting right now, with this very post, I am going to be... well, I don't know, I will let you all decide.

All TWO of you!!

You got a hint of it from the previous post (feel free to scroll down if you like, I can wait). Any guesses? No it has nothing to do with metaphysics - I think.

Did you notice the title? Something about something and Diet Coke? Well, that's not the point, I think, no wait actually it is. Not the Diet Coke part, although Jenni did send me this via my email:

Researchers have found a correlation between drinking diet soda and metabolic syndrome — the collection of risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes that include abdominal obesity, high cholesterol and blood glucose levels, and elevated blood pressure. (the emphasis - underlining, was added by my beloved)


The scientists gathered dietary information on more than 9,500 men and women ages 45 to 64 and tracked their health for nine years. Over all, a Western dietary pattern — high intakes of refined grains, fried foods and red meat — was associated with an 18 percent increased risk for metabolic syndrome, while a “prudent” diet dominated by fruits, vegetables, fish and poultry correlated with neither an increased nor a decreased risk.But the one-third who ate the most fried food increased their risk by 25 percent compared with the one-third who ate the least, and surprisingly, the risk of developing metabolic syndrome was 34 percent higher among those who drank one can of diet soda a day compared with those who drank none.


“This is interesting,” said Lyn M. Steffen, an associate professor of epidemiology at the University of Minnesota and a co-author of the paper, which was posted online in the journal Circulation on Jan. 22. “Why is it happening? Is it some kind of chemical in the diet soda, or something about the behavior of diet soda drinkers?” (sorry, the links did not carry over)


The evils of drinking Diet Coke: Addiction and objectification
By Aileen Nielsen Columnist (Note: Proper attribution i.e. not mine)

Published: Monday, October 14th, 2002

My roommates and I eat a lot of Jello and Diet Coke. I always have a diet coke in my hand. I drink six or seven a day. I drink a lot. I love it.

Diet Coke sometimes almost seems a force unto itself here at Princeton. I've often seen extremely thin (I would say "skinny," but in our warped society that term has entirely lost its negative connotation when applied to the female body) women nibbling on bits of salad in the dining halls but gulping down one, two or even three glasses of diet soda. I think one can be reasonably sure that since they're stinting their calories on food, they're not going to blow them on three glasses worth of Coca-Cola! The woman quoted above is not unusual, as according to an estimate found in last year's 'Prince' feature story on Nutrasweet, many women on campus (and some men) drink an average of six to seven cans of Diet Coke a day, more than half a gallon! Regardless of what anyone contends about the safety of Nutrasweet, the FDA itself recommends a maximum of the equivalent of two cups of diet soda (two cans are the equivalent of three cups), much less than half a gallon (8 cups).

Even if you don't worry about cancer, there are other reasons to worry about drinking Diet Coke. For one thing, because they are so much sweeter than actual sugar, drinking so much abuses the systems your body has in place. Some believe that this desensitizes your body to sugar-like substances and can make you gain weight. Moreover, because artificial sweeteners like Nutrasweet are so much sweeter than actual sugar, they give you additional sweets cravings rather than satisfying the ones you're probably trying to pacify by drinking Diet Coke.

I've been there. I know what it's like to be addicted to the stuff. You get stressed, you reach for a Diet Coke. You feel like you've gained weight, you reach for a Diet Coke. You want some chocolate, you reach for a Diet Coke, don't feel satisfied, reach for another, and then have the chocolate anyway. And then another Diet Coke, of course.

I didn't really think about all this until the summer. I didn't want to; no one wants to give up a crutch. It was only when I was finally out of the Princeton bubble after my first year that I confronted the problem of Diet Coke. I felt like I'd turned into a Diet Coke consuming machine (and this is not meant to be humorous in the least). I realized I was disassociating myself from my body and abusing it. By drinking Diet Coke, a substance that is supposed to be pleasing to the senses but also purposely entirely useless to the body, I was affirming a view that my body was at best either an object to keep as lean as possible or an orifice in which to dump mixtures that give me short-lived sensory pleasure.

I can't say I'm completely cured even now. Though I've been Nutrasweet/aspartame free for some time, I'm still tempted sometimes. It's not the taste — like cigarettes no one ever likes Diet Coke the first time they try it. Rather, there's something incredibly appealing about sweets with no consequences, no guilt. That's what Diet Coke symbolizes to a lot of people at Princeton. I think they forget that they then treat their body as an object, or maybe a tasting tool.

I'm sure people are wondering how I can differentiate between drinking Diet Coke and drinking anything else that has no nutritional value, and worse, has calories to boot. I think there's an inherent associated guilt or at least certain amount of preoccupation with food that is found in Diet Coke drinkers. People may drink regular soda because it tastes good, but at least the keep their eating within the original framework of the process, that is acquiring energy to do more interesting things than intake food. Diet Coke is most often used in an abusive way, such as for more caffeine or to get rid of food cravings (which are completely natural and necessary in healthy individuals in case we've all forgotten that).

Back at Princeton, I can already feel the Diet Coke pressure when I look around and see so many women with Diet Coke in hand (not to take away from the men who also indulge, but Diet Coke is a woman's problem). I wonder if these students remember who they are. They're Princeton women. They're not here for their girlish figures. They're here for their minds, their creativity and their determination (I would hope, anyway). Everything about drinking Diet Coke inherently disrespects those qualities within them, because it makes a social statement that they do have to conform to certain expectations about their appearance even at the risk of their health.

I think this is something we really can change. This is something that's literally right in front of us. You might argue that it's a personal choice, and nothing that should be part of a community dialogue. Yet, most people don't feel that way about cigarettes and have no qualms about taunting their nicotine-dependent friends. To be starting out so young with what amounts to an addiction and basic disrespect for what it means to be an evolved human, a rational creature who lives in the mind through the body rather than just a hunter/gatherer is a huge disadvantage. What can really be said for this famed Princeton education if we let so many march out with such a basic problem?

"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
~St. Francis of Assisi


Now I LOVE my wife, and if there is any doubt that she loves me, well I believe it has been dispelled by her sending me this email.

I LOVE Diet Coke, but I love my wife and kids more, so....

My Diet Coke days are coming to a close. Soon. I currently have three 2-liter bottles of the stuff left here at work, and I, not being wasteful, will buy no more. That is right, No more Diet Coke for me. That is it.

I mean it.

Really.

At least until the freaking major league migraine headaches start. NO!!! I will not allow that to make me fall of the wagon. I can do this! I WILL do this!

Anyone notice the quote by Saint Francis - That will be my new motto.

Okay, after reading all of that, does anyone remember what I started this post off with? No need to go back, I will restate it here.:

OK, so I am trying a new approach to this whole blogging thing. Don't know if it is going to work, but starting right now, with this very post, I am going to be... well, I don't know, I will let you all decide.

Remember?

Okay the hint was about the title, and as you may have noticed, the title for this post is a little sublime (or should I say subliminal - probably a better choice now that I think of it).

I mean this title has NOTHING to do with Onions, yet I have asked several questions, right? (another one).

So, where is the subliminal message?

Another hint, it is where Andy is right now.

Pass me another Diet Coke, would you please?

5 comments:

  1. Whew! It must be too late for my walnut-sized brain because you're being way too cryptic for me. I don't know... can I buy a vowel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it have anything to do with leeks? Hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, maybe I am tired and a little brain dead, but I am getting nothing that has to do with onions, coke stoppage and philosphy. I will let Kalynne take this one on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen in France a reportage about it. I thought I was out of trouble because I drink only 1 can by day. In fact, it seems it's just enough to increase the risk of desease!
    Before you published that I thought it was a new blame against Coca Cola in France. Since I'm a little girl I hear that it's not an healthy drinking. Regular Coca and Diet one, I mean! But if it was a french drinking, they would have no prejudice against!
    There was also an Italian study about aspartame, which was not brilliant about that product.
    So, I've decided to trust in my common sense. My grandparents didn't use to drink such soda, they even ate more healthy food (not industrial food elaborated elsewhere than at home, so I'll try to do just the same, as long as it is possible. We don't get the same life either.) But I must recognize that their generation wasn't less sick than ours!
    My children seem to be addicted to what we call "Ice Tea Peach" I don't know if you get the same. They're upset when they don't have their drinking. It's just our like Diet Coke! Maybe the addiction is just a question of sugar, natural or not.
    At least, you get more than 2 "commenters", maybe all the staff of Coca Cola corporation is studying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff and Holly - No you aren't brain dead. That's me. :)

    Alane - No leeks for me, that's Kalynne's department.

    Catherine - I am slowly, but surely curing myself of my Diet Coke addiction - however, I'm not ready to sell my stock in the company, just yet. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!