Monday, July 28, 2008

It Still Hurts











She first came to me when I was sixteen, almost seventeen. She was the most beautiful thing that I had ever laid eyes upon, and she was all mine.

We would go everywhere together, never wanting to be apart. I filled her with what she wanted and she always got me running. Throughout my senior year in high school she was my most dependable friend, always there when I needed her.

After high school I joined the Air Force and we had to be separated for nearly four months, it was an agonizing time in my life, I mean we had never been apart for more than a day, and now to have this thrust upon our relationship. While in training I would hear rumors of her seeing someone else, but they turned out to be fruitless, it was just someone trying to put the green monster of envy and jealousy between our love.

The next six months were the best; she was the one I could turn to when my training got to me. Often times we would head up to the mountains to be alone in the peaceful surroundings. As my final days of training came closer she was there to help my friends and I ease into the transition of heading to our first duty station.

She was a godsend.

Then the day we both dreaded came to pass, and I got my orders, to the United Kingdom, and we both knew that I couldn't bring her with me. She did come with me to where my parents were living in San Antonio to see me off. In fact, she stayed with them for a while, and when they moved back to Colorado, she gave them a warm homecoming.

When my tour in England ended, I knew that she would be there, but I also knew that I had tried others, and almost brought one home with me.

She didn't care.

She loved me, after all.

So, I took her to Abilene, Texas, when I moved there for my next assignment. I don’t know if we rushed it or not; maybe we were forcing our affection where it wasn't, who knows. We grew apart, so much so, that my roommate asked if he could take her from me. I was shocked, but I knew that it would be for the best, besides a new girl had caught my eye. She acquiesced to the exchange, and I felt that she was in good hands. My new girl was attractive and dependable, but it still felt weird.

One day, maybe a month later, I saw her on the street. My roommate, now former because of my new rank in the military entitled me to not having one, was nowhere in site.

I started to cry.

It was obvious that she had been abused, and was left on the side for dead, sitting in a puddle of her own tears. Then came the anger, how could he do this to her.

I resolved on that day, to never again sell my old automobiles to someone so young and irresponsible.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, good one!! I was thinking DOG...wrongo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pardon me but holy CRAP that was fantastic. I was so sad and then I thought "How dare he compare her to a car!" Ha!! Yeah, don't worry, I figured it out.

    Genius post, fantastic writing and excellent story! I'll definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah... there's just something about that first car. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good twist! Didn't see it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that was great. Very creative. What's more heartbreaking than giving up that first car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I really can't relate to this. I was so happy when my first car got smashed by a falling tree limb. That car was just evil . . . LOL

    The heartbreak with that one came when she was still my vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hah, you got me... I soooo did not see that one coming...

    That was GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally guessed it. Men ADORE their cars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so thinking you were talking about a dog.Great story!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so what kind of car was she that she held up so long?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me going there for a minute! I was so irate that you would just hand your woman over to someone else... like a piece of property! Hah!

    My first car was a tiny Volkswagen Jetta. Oh how I loved that car!

    Great post! Thanks for your kind comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story Roger. You had me the whole way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Because I forgot to mention it, and someone (Colleen) did ask, it was a Subaru Hatchback 4-wheel Drive, although it wasn't for four-wheeling :). Yes, I did try it, and it was not wise, at all.

    I'm honored that you all liked it, and most of you didn't get it until the end - except for Holly, which is what I was going for.

    Now back to regularly scheduled nonsense! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!