Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day...

God has blessed this country with many great leaders, and a few that weren't so hot. The time has come around to pick a new leader - I know the anticipation is killing me too!

So here are few Election Day prayers, not for anyone individual but for the country, and that the new leader and his team of experts will guide us in a manner that is righteous and continues to lead us in a manner that is pleasing to God.

I call heaven and earth today to witness against you:
I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse.
Choose life, then, that you and your descendants may live,
by loving the Lord, your God,
heeding his voice and holding fast to him.
-Deut 30:19-20 New American Bible
ELECTION PRAYER TO OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE
O Virgin of Guadalupe,
Your appearance in Mexico changed the course of human history.
Human sacrifice ceased and millions were converted to Jesus Christ.
Pray for our nation now.
Guide our elections through your gracious intercession.
Change hearts and minds to uphold the dignity of all human life.
Stem the tide f moral degradation and defend the sanctity of marriage.
Protect our nation from terrorism, war and natural disaster.
May goodness triumph over evil.
May candidates committed to God's truth be elected and re-elected.
And may our nation prosper.
We ask this through Jesus Christ,
Our Lord.
Amen.
FROM THE USCCB
Lord God,

as the election approaches,
we seek to better understand the issues and concerns that confront our city, state, and country,
and how the Gospel compels us to respond as faithful citizens in our community.

We ask for eyes that are free from blindness
so that we might see each other as brothers and sisters,
one and equal in dignity,
especially those who are victims of abuse and violence, deceit and poverty.

We ask for ears that will hear the cries of children unborn and those abandoned,
men and women oppressed because of race or creed, religion or gender.

We ask for minds and hearts that are open to hearing the voice of leaders who will bring us closer to your Kingdom.

We pray for discernment
so that we may choose leaders who hear your Word,
live your love,
and keep in the ways of your truth
as they follow in the steps of Jesus and his Apostles
and guide us to your Kingdom of justice and peace.

We ask this in the name of your Son Jesus Christ and through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Amen.
Now this next prayer is for those Bible scholars, here's a quiz prayer for you. All I am looking for is who's prayer it is, and where you can find it. Two hints, it's in the Old Testament, and you will need a Catholic Bible to get it. (Narrowed it down to seven books to look through, see how nice I am.)
You are righteous O Lord,
and all your deeds are just;
All your ways are mercy and truth;
you are the judge of the world.
And now, O Lord, may you be mindful of me,
and look with favor upon me.
Punish me not for my sins,
nor for my inadvertent offenses,
nor for those of my fathers.
Play along if you like... answer will be revealed tomorrow, unless I forget. :)
Finally, go visit Damama's Place and see her prayer for this election season.
Now get out there and VOTE!
God Bless.



1 comment:

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!