Monday, February 25, 2008

It's a New Me (Maybe)

"It is an object of vast magnitude that systems of education should be adopted and pursued which may not only diffuse a knowledge of the sciences but may implant in the minds of the American youth the principles of virtue and of liberty and inspire them with just and liberal ideas of government and with an inviolable attachment to their own country."
-- Noah Webster (On Education of Youth in America, 1790)


I wonder what Noah Webster would be thinking, if he were alive today?


"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
-- Thomas Jefferson (Notes on the State of Virginia, Query 17, 1782)


As you can see, Jefferson's definition of "Church and State" is way different than some so-called experts. What Jefferson and the founders of this great country actually said was that the Government shall not create a church state, like those in Europe, etc.. Or like those countries today that follow Sharia law (I think that's the term). Don't care too much, just know that it isn't a good thing. No matter what people may tell you.

"In a general sense, all contributions imposed by the government upon individuals for the service of the state, are called taxes, by whatever name they may be known, whether by the name of tribute, tythe, tallage, impost, duty, gabel, custom, subsidy, aid, supply, excise, or other name."
-- Joseph Story (Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833)


Taxation without Representation was just as hated then as it is now.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

Ain't that the truth!

Okay, so what should I write about now that I have "borrowed" words from others? Don't know.

This has turned into a rather disturbing trend, in my opinion. That and my leaving several stories "unfinished" is driving readers away! Both of you. :)

So, I have decided, just this second, to come up with a new resolution (which may last as long as my resolution to exercise), and that is to finish what I start. Unless (always a caveat) I am working on a piece of fiction, which wouldn't necessarily be on these pages (unless I really like it, I suppose). Also, I will try to 'annoy' you all with my positive attitude. :)

So, in future editions, (this doesn't count as unfinished business, more of an agenda driven point I am making to myself, you dig?) you will find me discussing things thoroughly and completely. Really. I promise. No crossed fingers. Or toes.

I will still share family stories, and will also keep up with the quirkiness of the one I call me. (See.) I will also show faith stories, and work stories and other general stories. I guess I will become a storyteller. (Yea Me!) I should also describe how this blog will differ from the 'family' blog over there. People may find out that they never knew this side of me, some may even be scared. Then again, maybe I will only scare myself. :) I may even tell you all the true pronunciation of Mylhibug and why I use it, and all that jazz. Oh, and more quotes (of course).

Are you excited yet? Well if you aren't, just stay tuned. I mean that. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey good for you! I like how you write now but I'm sure I will like the change too. And I loved your comment on the seperation of church and state. Well put, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Roger, we love you just the way you are. But that count-down graphic over there is making me reeeeal nervous.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!