Monday, January 12, 2015

Fox Hunt

My favorite sports team is the Denver Broncos, although I will admit that the Chicago Blackhawks seem to be gaining on them. No matter what though, the Denver Broncos will always be my favorite professional football team. Not to mistaken with one of my other favorite football teams Real Madrid or Manchester United.

Anyway.

So the Broncos have won the AFC West four years in a row, and for the last three it's been pretty much a cakewalk since we have one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, although I still think John Elway is better. :)

Pretty good, right?

Yeah, but....

Knew there was a yeah but didn't you?

Let's look at what that means, shall we?

  • 2011 - finish 8-8 wins AFC West (with Tim Tebow), they then beat Pittsburgh in OT at home and get shellacked by New England in Foxboro.
  • 2012 - finish 13-3, wins AFC West, lose the first playoff game (divisional)
  • 2013 - finish 13-3, wins AFC West, lose Super Bowl 48 (XLVIII if you insist)
  • 2014 - finish 12-4, wins AFC West, lose the first playoff game (divisional)
Both divisional losses were at home. Denver rarely, if ever loses at home.They went 8-0 at home this season, well 8-1 since they lost yesterday.

So, what to do?

I was thinking, as well as many of my fellow Broncos fans, that a coaching change was in order. Maybe get a coach that isn't afraid to take a chance, with one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the NFL under center. I am referencing Coach Fox's decision to kneel on the ball with 31 seconds left in that playoff loss in 2012 to Baltimore (Super Bowl champions that year). I mean Peyton Freaking Manning  THRIVES on occasions like that. When I saw it live, I couldn't believe that we did it, in fact, no one did. We also had one of the best field goal kickers of 50+ yards on the team at the time, so Manning only had to get them 50 yards, in 31 seconds, with all three timeouts remaining. Yeah, that game still doesn't sit well with me.

Anyway, as I got on my plane for my trip to Kentucky (hi y'all), I was thinking that there would be no way the Broncos get rid of Fox.

I was wrong.

Fox is gone, Del Rio (Defensive Coordinator) is gone, in fact, the entire coaching staff is gone. Personally, I would have kept Studesville (RBs coach) and who knows, maybe the new guy will bring him back - he did have some excellent running backs working for him.

So, what does this mean? It means that John Elway the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) gets to pick the next coach (true, he did pick Fox), that will help get the franchise over this hump, while (hopefully) keeping Manning playing, and takes them to the ultimate and win Super Bowl 50. 

What can I say, I'm a dreamer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!