Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother Knows Best?

Since I am hosting the Fun Mondays for May, I really have no one to blame but myself for this week's topic. I seriously considered not even submitting anything, but thought that would be kind of rude. So, that being said, this week's topic was all about moms, and your memories.

I have some pretty strong memories of my mother, when she chastised me for getting picked on by a bully "Quit acting like a girl!" to her being concerned for my well-being - I'm sure it happened at some point.

Now before this turns into something I'd rather it not, if it hasn't already. Let me tell you a couple of things I believe...

I believe that my mother loves me.

I believe that my mother has a hard time expressing that emotion towards me or my family, and it probably stems from something I did, although for the life of me I do not know what it was or could have been. Only that it seems to have build a divide between our relationship that I wish wasn't there, but for the sake of myself and the kids, I think I will try harder to bridge that gap in the near future.

Before you ask, yes I did call her and wish her a Happy Mother's Day yesterday, albeit with some gentle prodding from my wife and kids. They really know best.

My mother is also the founder of the greatest advice ever given to me - we used to talk all the time before either she went to bed or I did. She always had time to listen, even though I kept them(my dad was there usually as well) from their sleep, I'm sure. They were good talks and I am sure that I am part of who I am because of them. She also gave me the strong/tough love advice when I was seventeen and just lounging around the house... I should mention here that I had just graduated high school and because my dad, who was in the Air Force, had been transferred to a new city (San Antonio), I left the city that I knew everyone in (relatively of course) and moved to this strange place... Anyway, she was fed up with my lounging and came into my room and yelled these immortal words to my tender ears: "Why don't you get a job, go to college or join the Air Force!"

I'm happy to report that I did all three, even though I still look back and wonder how I missed that conjunction "or." It sure would have saved me all that hassle of moving from base to base for six years. And I probably - no definitely - wouldn't be working in the same career field I am today.

Of course, that same career feeds me, clothes me and shelters me, so it's not all bad.

With that I will close and say that I love my mother and wish that we could see her more often.

5 comments:

  1. Mothers are strange creatures - I can say that because I am one - and hopefully we each learn something from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've slacked greatly on posting lately -sorry! Don't believe that you are the cause for why your mom has a difficult time expressing her love for you. I know that my mom reads my blog so I wouldn't feel comfortable writing this there, but... when I consider the world she grew up in, I better understand why she is the way she is. Consider that there may be a story in your mom's life that has spilled into your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you probably know yourself, relationships can be difficult to maintain even healthy ones. I am sorry that there is a divide in your relationship with mother. Perhaps, you have lessened the divide with the Mother's Day call. As Sandy Ann indicates, you may not be the cause for that divide. I wish you well in resolving these issues. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if my kids could even think of any "sound advice" that I gave them when they were growing up. From what I can see..they weren't paying much attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom sounds like my grandmother. There was a certain reserve there, but I have no doubt that she loved me. She didn't believe in physical affection. Not a big hugger. Neither is my mom... and neither am I - except with my son, who gets hugs every chance I get). I wonder if he'll ever remember anything I say to him?

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!