Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veterans Day

Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.
 
Peace had finally come back to Europe, for a little while at least.
 
President Woodrow Wilson first proclaimed an Armistice Day for November 11, 1919, and Congress approved a bill in 1938 that proclaimed the eleventh of November as a legal holiday.
 
In 1953, a shoe store owner from Emporia, Kansas had the idea of making Armistice Day a day to celebrate all Veterans, and not those that served during World War One. In May of 1954, President Eisenhower signed it into law, with Congress changing the name from Armistice Day to Veterans Day to be celebrated on November 11.
 
Today is a day to celebrate what makes this country great and keeps it free, our Veterans. I come from a family of Veteran's with my Dad, grandfather, uncle, and brothers all serving in some capacity. My Dad and brothers have made careers out of being in the USAF, as did my Uncle. I only served six years myself.
 
I want to say thank you to all that have served, the country owes you more than it can give, please remember your Veteran today and thank them for their service...
 
 
It is the Soldier
Father Dennis Edward O'Brien

It is the Soldier,
not the reporter, who has given us freedom of press.

It is the Soldier,
not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier,
not the campus organizer, who gives us freedom to demonstrate.

It is the Soldier
who salutes the flag,
who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.
 
God Bless you all, and God Bless America!

1 comment:

  1. Roger, that was very inspiring and you are right on every point!
    Thank YOU, Roger.
    PS I love that poem. God Bless our Soldiers!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!