Monday, October 12, 2009

Forty-Two

"Yes! Now..."
"All right," said the computer, and settled into silence again. The two men fidgeted. The tension was unbearable.
"You're really not going to like it," observed Deep Thought.
"Tell us!"
"All right," said Deep Thought. "The answer to the Great Question..."
"Yes!..."
"Of Life, the Universe and Everything..." said Deep Thought.
"Yes!..."
"Is..." said Deep Thought, and paused.
"Yes!..."
"Is..."
"Yes...!!!...?"
"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

~ from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

I have been waiting my whole life (well, technically I read the book, for the first time, about twenty years ago, but 'my whole life' sounds way more impressive, right?) for that quote to be used, and now I have a full year to have it apply to me. Well, in some weird sort of manner, but it's only weird if you don't want to grasp the concept by it's tail and swing it around the blogosphere.

Or something like that.

Yes, dear friends, I am now the ripe old age of forty-two. What does that mean, exactly? I have no idea, but it gave me an idea of something to write. Finally.

A list of things that I have found to be true, about me, after forty-two years of life. Ready? Here goes...

  1. I am a son of God and I am very content with that. I do not tell you what to believe, although I will tell you what I believe.
  2. I am very fortunate to be married to a saint. I'm not taking that lightly, because if you have seen me at my worst, and can still love me, then you are indeed a saint in my book. I love you Jenni, always have and always will.
  3. I am very stubborn at times.
  4. I do not like not knowing something, and do come across as an arrogant ass at times. To all you that I have offended, please accept my sincerest apologies. I do not mean to offend or belittle you. I just get very excited, in my little head, when I know something, and then am shocked that you don't also know the same things. It's because I think you are smarter than me, believe it or not.
  5. I do not have a very strong relationship with my parents - I have no idea why. Used to be very close, but once I left home, it's like they moved on with my chapter in their life. Their loss, as well as, mine.
  6. I do have a very strong relationship with my in-laws. For that I am eternally grateful.
  7. I am still a huge Denver Broncos fan. Don't even try to change me, because it isn't going to happen.
  8. Children. I have seven children.
  9. Andy - our oldest, is away at college now, and I have to admit that I didn't think he would be able to handle it. His track record definitely didn't lead me to believe it was possible. I was wrong. And I am very glad that I was wrong. I love you Andy.
  10. Benjy - #2, but never lost in the shuffle. You are going to be driving soon, and I am sure that you will tackle this challenge head on, like you handle all the rest. Outstanding soccer player, and very smart. Which is good, because you now say that you want to go to Notre Dame.
  11. Jessie - My oldest daughter, and the one that will always be there to take care of someone in the family, be it your brothers or sisters, or eventually your parents. You are a very sweet girl and don't EVER let anyone tell you differently.
  12. I should comment at this time that I am not dying, even though it seems like I am writing this as some sort or memorial from me, it's not my intent. Maybe I should stop with the kids for a while.
  13. I like to write, I don't like to edit. If I ever plan on succeeding as a writer at some point in my life, I will have to learn how to edit better.
  14. I am not perfect.
  15. I still have 20/15 vision, however, I think those days are quickly leaving me. Especially when the print gets smaller, and there is less light.
  16. I love to read still.
  17. I have no money, and I really don't care. After all life isn't all about money, even though society tries to make it so. Would I like a little bit more? Sure, who wouldn't? However, at this point, I have no money.
  18. Disney World is the best place to go visit on vacation. Sure, the Grand Canyon is nice. Sure, there are cheaper vacations. However, I would take a Disney World vacation over just about any other. Except maybe a trip to Scotland.
  19. Living in the Chicago area is great, as long as you don't watch the politics.
  20. Hot humid weather sucks.
  21. Icy, windy weather also sucks.
  22. I am learning to enjoy camping.
  23. I need to learn how to fish, my girls want me to teach them.
  24. My time in the Air Force looked a lot worse while I was still in, as opposed to now, as I watch my brothers reach retirement age, before they even turn forty!
  25. I have two brothers, two brother in-laws, and four sister in-laws.
  26. I have two nephews and four nieces.
  27. I love playing Fantasy Football.
  28. I love Plurk.
  29. I enjoy Facebook.
  30. I have written more in my head, than on paper or computer.
  31. I need to get out more, and exercise.
  32. I'm pretty lazy. Which means I am pretty much overweight.
  33. I love Beef Stroganoff. Jenni's is the best, by far.
  34. Kaitlynn - My cuddle bug. She can be one of the sweetest girls, yet at a moments notice, she can be pretty mean. I assume this is normal, as it seems that all of my girls are like this, and not a result of my mental illness.
  35. Yes, I have a mental illness, and take medication for it.
  36. Margaret - My baby girl, she brightens my day every time I see her smile. There is a strong belief that she is my favorite child, amongst those that like to discuss these sorts of things. True, she is a favorite, but I have room for seven favorites.
  37. Danny - Holy cow, what an expressive boy. I cannot wait to see what he will grow up to be, he is very imaginative and has a huge heart.
  38. Timmy - Even though you have only been around for three months, they have been a pure joy. I just hope that I can be there for you, the way I have been for your siblings. I need to remember that what may seem old to me, id brand new to you.
  39. I do not like my job.
  40. I do not like lists.
  41. There is only one more thing I will say in this list.
  42. is not the answer to Life the Universe and Everything.

Whew! That's out of the way, so now I can get into some "real" writing.

Thank you for tolerating my narcissistic nature, it really isn't all about me.

Numbered List


6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Dad! Maybe the answer to life is the age your Broncos will go undefeated. I know, I just jinxed it, I guess I just enjoy doing that, but I gotta be honest, didn't think that they would beat the Pats. And they did! As much as I love history, I don't love studying for a European History midterm at 1:23 AM, but if I hadn't, I probably would've missed your blog post entirely. Need to read this more. And maybe set up my own blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Roger! Sorry we missed you on Saturday. Hope you have a nice birthday and a blessed year.
    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to thank you for the insight into you and your family I think I'll have to read more

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quote... and great list! Happy Birthday Roger. I'm happy to have met you on this intertube!

    So long... and thanks for all the fish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    Your relationship with your parents is one that tugs at my heart. There's an old saying, "A daughter's a daughter for all of her life. A son is a son 'til he takes a wife." Your's appears to be just one more example of that being so true. As the mother of a son who is married and has little time for me now, I know how much it can hurt and how quickly you HAVE to find ways to go on with your life without your son's daily (weekly? monthly??) presence in it. I don't know anything about it but what you said, that you were close when you were young. Maybe, just maybe, your folks moved on out of self-defense early on and now don't know how to come back. Maybe their initial hurt is so deep that only you can build the bridge? Maybe I'm projecting... At any rate, please don't let the gap stand too wide too long. Recent first hand, painful experience has taught me that one day it WILL be too late.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!