Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The End of an Era

I have known my friend for nearly eighteen years.

She has brought me plenty of great memories over that time, and I wish that I could brag about leaving her turned on all night, but the truth is I fell asleep. Every. Single. Time.

Come to think of it, she was a better friend to me than I ever was to her. She knew how to take care of herself, and was able to handle any surges that came her way. She was pretty reliable as well, and was always there when I needed her. She helped me through many illnesses, including my latest bout with a cold/flu/swine flu/whatever, and was there whenever I woke up in a fit of coughing.

I still can't believe that I didn't see her passing coming though. Usually there is a sign, or two, and you can possibly nurse her back to health with a gentle touch. Although I do have to admit that she did like it rough every know and again, and responded to a swift kick to the side.

So when Benjy came up and told me that she wasn't looking so good, I just passed it off to her being a little finicky, maybe dramatic, you know, looking for some attention. I couldn't give it to her though, as life did get in the way. I really feel bad that I couldn't be there when she gasped her last, but at least she had some science fiction to get her through, as she was watching the new Stargate Universe when it happened.

I think that she would have wanted it that way.

Good-bye basement television*.




* This means I have to look for one of these now, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. I can GUARANTEE you that the next one you get won't even last half as long! It doesn't matter what brand it is or how much you pay for it. They just don't make 'em like they used to!
    My condolences, Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second HalfAsstic. We were actually told that by a salesman.

    And on to less depressing news, at least your wife is still by your side. Right?

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!