Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Great American Novel

My novel is well underway - in my head.

I actually came to the library thinking that I could get some writing done, because it's a library. Well Jenni suggested that I bring the kids along.

I said no.

She said, how about only the kids that can read independently. Only one of them wanted to go, and that was Katie. Now Katie is an excellent reader and I have seen her get completely buried in a book, in fact she has been known to read complete books in one sitting. I'm not talking your Dr. Seuss here either. So, I figured that she would find a book and immerse herself in whatever world she finds.

Oh, how I wish I could say that I had to drag her away kicking and screaming with a book in her hand. Nope. No such luck today. She has picked up at least three different books, started to read them and they couldn't hold her interest. Not good.

"Dad, there are no good books here."

"Uh, there are thousands of books here and I am sure that one of them is good."

"No. I looked."

"Have you ever heard of Stephen King, maybe Cujo or Pet Semetary will do ya.**"

"Huh?"

"Okay, how about you just walk up an aisle with your eyes closed, reach out and see what you get. Never know, you may be surprised."

"No way."

"Okay, go to the B's and look up Terry Brooks. I read The Sword of Shannara when I was your age and loved it - maybe you will too."

She came back three times asking for the title again, the last time she said "Part three?" Then I said no, but how about Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold? "I saw that." Good.

Now, I'm curious as to how she will like it. I will let you know if her nine year old mind can comprehend the story.

Since my novel got sidetracked for a while there, I noticed that Benjy will be happy because the Philadelphia Eagles won again. Now the must beat the mighty Arizona Cardinals. Did I really just write that?

Well Katie has settled in, and the library closes in an hour, so I better get back to writing that novel.

God Bless!!




** Didn't really send her Stephen's way, that'll be next year - maybe. :)

1 comment:

  1. How is the novel coming? Is it going to be amazing?

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!