Thursday, December 27, 2007

Simvastatin 40 mg

That's my crutch for, at least, the next three months. Why? Because I am a gluttonous pig apparently and I eat all the bad stuff. That'll teach me.

Truth be told, I could have avoided this if I had only started doing that exercise thingy (walking daily), and eating a more sensible meal than Ramen noodles and Cheeseburgers. Or something like that. Anyway, let's see what it is that the Bug will be ingesting for the next ninety days - along with his Paxil, mind you.

"This medicine is a(n) film-coated pink round-shaped tablet imprinted with A on one sideand 03 on the other side. Add info: BICONVEX."

What the heck? I guess they try to fit as much info as they can into that tiny little box. :-)

Other fun facts:

I must take one tablet by mouth one time daily. ~ I can think of no better way.

Common Uses: This medicine is a HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor or "statin" used in comnbination with a low-cholesterol and low-fat diet to lower cholesterol (LDL) and triglyceride levels and to raise good cholesterol (HDL) levels in your blood. ~ Sounds fascinating doesn't it? I guess I should quit eating those cheeseburgers for sure now.

DO NOT DRINK LARGE AMOUNTS OF GRAPEFRUIT JUICE (greater than 1 quart daily) or eat large quantities of grapefruit while taking this medicine. ~ I have no idea why, but I am sure that Google or Wikipedia do!! (ED : Next research project, I'm sure.)

Okay, now I am getting to the point in my blog entry, where I have lost all control of the colors and fonts....

So if the color is screwy, blame the editor. (What!) Not my editor (Oh, okay), but Bloggers. They apparently like to see me suffer my way through all of this nonsense. Not the high cholesterol, but the color changes, that aren't intentional. Makes sense?

Me neither.

Back to the drug... The fun stuff, "possible side affects" you know that part where when you listen to the commercial you wonder if it is all worth it. Anyway, here are mine:

SIDE EFFECTS that may occur while taking this medicine include constipation, diarrhea or stomach upset. ~ Now call me crazy, but doesn't that seem weird that this drug can cause either constipation or diarrhea? Both conditions have an upset stomach involved, so what does this warning actually tell me? Not much, really.

Other tidbits I should remember.... I can't be pregnant, and if I suspect I am pregnant then I should consult my physician. ~ I'll be calling more than a physician if I suspect myself to be pregnant, that's for sure!

I also need to contact my physician for the following: unusual skin or hair changes (such as discoloration, severe dryness, hair loss, or changes to nails). I should also be on the lookout for muscle aches, pains, tenderness, or weakness, especially if associated with unusual tiredness and a fever; yellowing of skin or eyes; dark urine; change in the amount of urine; stomach pain; ongoing nausea or vomiting; blurred vision; or unusual bleeding or bruising. ~ Do tell me what usual bleeding and bruising are.

Now the absolute BEST part is the paragraph that begins "The information in this monograph is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precaustions, drug interactions, or adverse effects." Sounds to me like someone went to "Lawyer School."

Oh well.... So how have you been?

1 comment:

  1. Did you have any weight gain when you starting taking this wonder drug?

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!