Monday, March 7, 2011

Fun Monday - Splurge versus Steal

This month Fun Monday is hosted by In Good Company and for this Monday they ask Splurge versus Steal and want me/us to list 5 things you are willing to spend your hard earned cash on and five things you would rather steal (hypothetically) than waste your money on. 


Let's see where this leads us, shall we?


I'll start with the easy stuff first, the spending. I like to spend more than steal so this naturally came easier to me - or so I thought. So in no particular order the five things I would splurge on would be:



  1. A trip to Disney World - all of them. I know some are called Disneyland and all that jazz, but basically, if it's a world of Disney, I would gladly splurge on it because I find that there is great value in each trip to Disney that I have ever taken. I feel happier when I am there, the kids always have a great time, heck my twenty-year old son pretty much insisted that we bring him along on our upcoming trip in June. So for me, this is definitely a no-brainer when it comes to splurges.
  2. A Chevrolet Suburban, by far the best vehicle I had ever owned. I loved it, and then I lost my job which led to losing my vehicle. I have always said that if I could ever afford one again, I would go for it and keep it this time.
  3. A trip to Scotland. I visited the country once while I was serving in the Air Force in England, and absolutely fell in love with the place. I have always thought that it would be a great place to retire to, but then how would I afford to visit my grand kids (assuming that I will have some, someday). A visit back would be grand, and who knows maybe someday Jenni and I will make it there.
  4. A trip to Italy, all of Italy and specifically Vatican City. This is a place that I feel is a must on my list of things to do before I die. It has everything I love in life, great art, great writings and I hear great food. What's not to love, right?
  5. I would love to see either a baseball game in every single stadium for major league teams, or to see every single game of one of the following teams; Cincinnati Reds, Chicago Cubs, or the Colorado Rockies - the Rockies would be my first choice since eighty-two of their games are played in Colorado, then Cincinnati would be a dream since they were my favorite team growing up, and finally the Cubs would be my third choice. However, any one of them would be awesome.


Now, things I would steal - hypothetically of course.



  1. An iPad. I just don't get the hype and I don't want the expense, although truth be told, it would be kind of cool to own one I think. Just as long as I didn't have to pay for it.
  2. A Maserati... no reason other than it would be cool to have a really fast car with a fancy name.
  3. Starbuck's Mochas... I love them, just don't always want to pay for them.
  4. Gym membership, I have one and pay for it, but really, wouldn't it be nice if everyone could just go there and utilize them? Except when I'm there, I'm kind of shy.
  5. Anytime access to the Library of Congress. A little quirky I know, but imagine the writings in the place and the history. I saw this movie once where this guy read from a diary at the Library of Congress once and he found a big load of hidden gold just by following the clues left in that diary. Can you just imagine what hasn't been found yet?


That's my entry into this week's Fun Monday, make sure you visit In Good Company to see who else participated this week, and maybe you'll want to join us next week. 


Thanks for stopping by, and we'll see you real soon.

9 comments:

  1. You have included my interesting choices in your lists. Of course, I am not surprised by inclusion of Disney. I did certainly enjoy our two trips to Disney World.

    I wish for you all of things on both of your lists. Maybe you can pick up your Maserati when you visit Italy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Roger I'd say that is a well thought out list.
    That whole Library of Congress thing is weird. Being a library you'd think you could just march right in there, flash a current library card, check out any book or document, and leave.
    If I'm ever in D.C. I'm gonna give it a try. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are two great list. I agee with star bucks mocha...while I dont really drink them, paying 5 bucks or more for that or any coffee is insane to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont pay for coffee either. Or anything similar that's just 'that much' for food. I don't go for huge electronic purchases, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once heard a marketing director for Disney give a presentation on the Disney mission and how everyone has a part in making sure that every visitor has a memorable experience. They do understand childlike wonder. Good picks for places to visit. I loved wild beautiful Scotland--and any book set there--and mellow Italy. Watching a George Clooney movie set in an Italian village right now! A couple of months ago I paid $4 for a Starbucks peppermint mocha and am still shaking my head. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great and varied list! Back on our 25th Anniversary we spent the week with our children in FL going to all the amusement parks. So fun! Even more so because there weren't any grandkids yet. So, those parks are for adults, too! I wanted an Ipad and then decided I didn't really need to spend the $ and then my Hub got one through work--they are pretty cool. I think Scotland would be fabulous. The two places I would splurge on are Italy and New Zealand.
    I really do hope you do get your Chevrolet Suburban again :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite car ever was my 1984 Volvo sedan. I bought it for $400 dollars, but then had to immediately put over $2000 into it. and that was just the beginning. I finally had to get rid of it because I couldn't afford to keep it running, but I definitely understand longing for a favorite car from the past!

    I went to Disney as a child, but haven't been back. I dislike crowds and things I have to stand in long lines for, and so I've never had the urge to return. I do have a son, and one day he should experience that, but it won't be with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting idea! I'm with you on Disney and the ipad....travelling in general. not the chevy though.

    Best car I've ever had and just love to pieces is my Chrystler Town and Country....if I had the money I'd have 2 brand new ones!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!