Saturday, July 18, 2009

On Second Thought

I have expressed my desire to have a Kindle before, and even tied my weight loss to it (currently down 20 pounds), but this story disturbs me.
 

This morning, hundreds of Amazon Kindle owners awoke to discover that books by a certain famous author had mysteriously disappeared from their e-book readers. These were books that they had bought and paid for—thought they owned.

But no, apparently the publisher changed its mind about offering an electronic edition, and apparently Amazon, whose business lives and dies by publisher happiness, caved. It electronically deleted all books by this author from people's Kindles and credited their accounts for the price.

Sure Amazon gave the money back and all, but like the story mentions later, this is akin to Bares and Noble sneaking into your house at night, and replacing your book purchase from your nightstand and leaving a refund check.

Not lost is the irony of the titles taken back, George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm

So maybe I don't want one now. I definitely have something else to chew on, especially when it comes to the purchase of this gadget. Sure it will save some space, but it just became a little more intrusive if you ask me.

1 comment:

  1. Now that is TOO funny that it was 1984 and Animal Farm!
    I'm not sure about the kindle thing...
    Even stranger was that they could delete the books...how?

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!