Saturday, January 16, 2010

Good Night for a Lock-In

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong. ~G.K. Chesterton
So what happens when you get 20 girls, 11 moms and 1 dad together for an overnighter at church?

You get one very tired blogger.

Thank goodness, I have good old Chesterton up there to add some intelligence to whatever this post turns out to be.

We had a lock-in at the church for the AHG (American Heritage Girls) troop last night and it turned out to be a great time. Both Katie and Maggie went - Jessie had her own little overnight retreat at a different church. We saw a couple of movies, of which, I can only remember the title of one; "The First of May" a lovely family movie that I would highly recommend. I love the tag line for the movie...

An unwanted boy and a forgotten old lady find running away to join the circus is really coming home.
Like I said, I would highly recommend it.

I think the other movie was called "The Impossible Elephant" or something like that. Another sweet family movie that I would also recommend.

During the movies, I made popcorn and the girls made a mess. After the movies, it was bedtime and the girls all went to sleep - well all the girls that weren't sleeping together in a big room without adult supervision did at least. What are you gonna do? All I know is that when the air horn that sounded like a fire alarm went off at six in the AM, I didn't appreciate the humor of it.

Today, after everyone got up, we had breakfast cooked by the girls that didn't sleep.

It was just like you imagine it would be.

The girls went sledding, played games and had a great time playing together and even took in a little class time learning about how to do a "vet check" for your pet. They used their stuffed animals - too cute. We wrapped up the day with mass.

Overall, it was a great time and I even read 120 pages, or so, of the latest Michael Crichton novel. I will definitely have two books read in January - which reminds me, I should work on reviewing them. (excuse my mental note there.)

To top off the evening, we went to dinner with some old friends and Timmy. It was a lot of fun, and has been too long since our last get together. Hopefully, we can start meeting up more regularly once again. Time will tell.

Okay, that's it for me, I have to pick up Benjy and then sleep in my own bed - Ahhhh.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you Roger... helping out like that. I did a similar thing for my boys when they were in 3rd grade Cub Scouts. Lucky me because my boys are a year a part... I got to do it 2 years in a row! Yay.

    Now my wife and I volunteer for our church of the week program and stay up one night with the homeless people. We've been doing that for years. You really learn just how good you have it after sleeping on a gym floor. That's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, and the older I get, the harder that floor feels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a better parent than I am. Our church does a once-a-year sleepover and I shamlessly use Micah as an excuse not to stay. One of these years, that excuse will grow up and leave me exposed.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!