Monday, April 4, 2011

Ten Years with Charlotte

Per my instructions...

For this week I would like you to answer one of the following questions (yes, I am giving you a choice); If you could pick any ten years over again, without changing them, which ten years would you choose and why? These years do not have to be consecutive years, but there should be ten, okay? Your second choice is, explain the wonders of living in orbit over the moon, or any planet of your choosing (not Earth) for ten years, describe what you think life would be like and if so inclined, describe the planet....


Day One, - I am so excited to be here orbiting the planet U-465B, or what I shall affectionately call from now on, Charlotte. Why Charlotte? No reason other than that name just popped into my head as I started this entry, so I figured why not name U-465B Charlotte. It is my prerogative after all, since she'll be my neighbor for the next ten years. This is my first of what I know will be many entries into the life of Charlotte and myself as we sit in the great expanse of space, millions of miles from my home planet Earth, which is kind of silly. I mean I have spent more time in space getting to Charlotte that I ever spent on Earth, but it sounds better than saying my home... Space. 


Day Two - Hey there! I'm back, did you miss me? Charlotte is going round and round just as we thought she would be doing and there does not appear to be anything but a lot of rocks down there. We'll be looking for water and plant life, among other things while on this mission. We, of course, are me and my computers, maybe I will introduce them to you some day. Good news is I have a lot of "free" time to catch up on my reading. Good thing I have all those books in my e-reader. I figure one thousand should be plenty...


Day Three - Wow, I just finished my sixth book today, at this rate I will be done with my list a lot sooner than I thought. Who knew orbiting a planet would be so conducive to a lot of reading time. As for Charlotte? She's still there, with nary a peep coming from her surface. She's kind of boring.


Day Four - Ten more books down, more boredom from Charlotte and her rocky surface. I sent down a probe to take some readings of her atmosphere, etc. when I first got here, it won't be back for another three weeks. I wonder if I should just let my beard grow out?


Day Thirty-Six - Probe came back from Charlotte today, a little late so I was hoping for some excellent data. I will send out another probe tomorrow.


Day Three Hundred Sixty Six - Wow, that year went by fast. Charlotte is still doing absolutely nothing other than spinning around and spitting back my research probes. Haven't heard back from the command center about my request to shorten my stay here, since there is nothing remarkable about Charlotte, and well, I have nothing to do. My books have all been read and I have recreated many scenes from my favorites with the computers, but I don't think they quite get the nuances of a Tolkien, so we'll call that a fail. I wonder if this is what I signed up for, or is this some excellent practical joke.


Day One Thousand Ninety-Five - Three years, planet is still spinning, and there has been no word from command in regards to my many requests for a transfer. I think they hate me. As does Esmeralda, ever since she caught me talking to Joann. Who knew computers could get jealous, surely not I.


Day One Thousand Eight Hundred Twenty-Six - Ugh.


Year Six, Day Twenty-Nine - The computers are planning a mutiny, I suspect. 


Year Six, Day Thirty - It was all a big misunderstanding. Esmeralda is a big trouble maker obviously. She just can't get over the fact that I left her for Joann. Talk about acting all high school.


Year Eight, Day Who really cares - This place sucks. There I finally said it, officially, and you know what if command wants to fire me then so be it.


Year Eight, Day Who really cares plus one - Who knew that Command was monitoring these entries, and now they want to see what else I have written. Figures.


Year Eleven, Day One - What gives? I'm not supposed to be here anymore. Hello? Is there anybody out there? Hello? Bueller?


Year Eleven, Day Two - This sucks..... 
Attention Space Ranger
Your mission has been an arousing success!
So much so that we are extending you for an additional ten years!
Won't that be grand?
Don't worry, we're sending you some new supplies!
Command

***************

Sounds like a great place to hang out at doesn't it? Go check out what everyone else came up with - except for those spam entries for "dating" and "Car sale" I strongly suspect that they don't care about Fun Mondays. :)

3 comments:

  1. I completely missed this Mon Funday thing until I read it at Swamp's Place.
    I enjoyed the time sitting in your tin can.
    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Women problems follow men wherever they go. What was your success -- surviving boredom? What's on your reading list this year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. you are welcome to join us in our new weekly meme. View your invite and info here"

    http://n-good-company.blogspot.com/2011/04/tea-time-tales.html

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!