Monday, April 25, 2011

It's the End of the World, and I don't like Fish


Why they let me out of my box to do these things is beyond me, but this week's challenge has us imagining what the end of the world will look like from your vantage point - either stuck in a cave, or on a boat. Or some throwaway list for those of us not up to the challenge...

My lists are as follows...

Okay, I kid (maybe). Anyway, if you would like to host these for the month of May, your time is running short to take the reigns, or else I will have to dive a little deeper into that vault of mine.

Shall we proceed?

The title probably gave it away. That and the fact that if you knew me, you would know that I have built more cave "safe-houses" in my head than anything else. The exception being islands. I love to create islands and then stick some unsuspecting folk out there just to see what would happen.

Why yes, I have had a dragon or two show up as well. Why do you ask?

Anyway, that's not what this is supposed to be about, so let's go see what this cave will look like - I sure hope it has running water...

That it does, in fact there is a lovely stream that runs right through the middle of the thing, kind of a dividing line between living quarters and storage, if you will. It also is unaffected by whatever craziness happens above the ground, because it's my story.

Knowing that the world is facing an apocalyptic event is one thing, knowing the exact date it will happen is quite another. Unfortunately, I cannot read the future as accurately as that, so half of the people I had assembled to live out the twenty years, or so, that it would take for the planet to get back to a livable state died immediately when the end came. At least that is what I am hoping, because it would really be tragic if they survived for a while knowing that we, underground, were living it up while their faces were falling off. Gruesome, yes, but a fact of life when it comes to the end.

Now, my stream solves many problems, believe it or not. The running water can generate power so that I can run the lights and scrubbers for keeping the air clean and pure. It didn't hurt that I built the system for thirty people and only had fifteen that needed it either. The power also ran other essential things like the security system, which included cameras and other sensing devices used to monitor the outside world.

My cave also had a natural heat source that kept the cave at a nice comfortable seventy-two degrees Fahrenheit, but unfortunately didn't help with getting our food warm. For that we had to rely on our ovens, which ran on natural gas, of which we also had an abundant supply. The fact that the government failed to realize such a valuable resource is beyond me, but I do thank them for it.

Finally, food was my biggest concern, since there is no way anyone can live on government MREs (those are meals ready to eat). So I had to formulate a plan to get fresh food, and all it took was a really big cave.  You heard me correctly, I have a farm with livestock and fresh vegetables down here, and all it took was a few years of practice and a couple of great skylights. Granted those took a lot of digging to get them made, but it was well worth it.

So while I am stuck here in my cave for the next twenty some-odd years, enjoying my fresh food, fresh air and fresh water. I couldn't think of anywhere else I'd rather be.

No really.

I promise.

Help!

Now it's up to you, yes you dear reader to sign up (by emailing me) to be the next host of these here Fun Monday's. So whatcha waiting for? If I don't hear from anyone by Thursday, I will take May and its five Mondays.

Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed your April challenges for Fun Monday. I am glad that you have allowed for the skylights to your cave. And certainly living in a closed space would require some way to generate fresh air, and you have addressed that problem too. Plus, you have an ambient temperature of 72, which would be better than the constant 55 degrees of most caves. See you in twenty years, and I will give you a ride of my boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took my thoughts about cave living and ran with them!!! I don't have a farm, but I do have lighting that allows me to grow things and stay happy.

    I also didn't really consider taking other people into my cave - I'm a bit of a hermit. I would keep my husband and son but probably not much more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and kids would have to get their own cave. Otherwise I'd be the one picking up after them. I'd keep my dog, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't live on the ocean -- would need an endless supply of Dramamine. We have a large supply of MREs. I haven't tasted them yet, 'cause you know they are for emergencies. I consider not having an idea for dinner an emergency.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!