Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fun Monday (I know it's Wednesday) - Tobit or not Tobit

Hey there!

It's my Fun Monday-on-Wednesday post. Yeah, I've been a bit, er, busy. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Anyway, I have an idea of what I am going to write and since I don't like to edit stuff anyway, I figured that I would just do it.

Aren't you all lucky.

So here was this week's challenge/task/question/whatever...

 I figured with us going through Holy week, why not go with a little religion, makes sense, right? So this week, I am looking for one of three answers (gotta give you choices). Please share with the group one of the following; your favorite book in the Bible, your favorite character in the Bible, or your favorite biblically based movie.

Piece of cake, right?

Which explains why I needed two extra days, I guess.

Okay favorite character - Job

Favorite Book - Tobit

Favorite Movie - The Ten Commandments

Oh, you want more? Okay, I think.

Why Job? Because if there is an everyman type of character that almost everyone can associate with, I believe it is Job. Now, granted, not everyone has had everything taken away from them like Job, but we have all suffered losses like Job, and I think this is where the saying (I wish I could remember who it was that said it) "God won't give you any more than you can handle" got it's inspiration. Okay, I think that I paraphrased that saying, but you get the gist of it, I hope. I also read a book by Robert Heinlein, of all people I know, he of the whole Scientology thing, called Job: A Comedy of Justice which basically retells the story from a different more modern, actually I think it was more future, perspective. He being a Science Fiction writer and all, so he could do that.

Honorable mentions: Moses, Joseph (from Genesis), and Paul

Why Tobit? It's a great love story, and a few passages from it were used in my wedding, and I suspect many a Catholics as well. If you don't have the Catholic Bible, you are missing out on this wonderful story, sorry. It's not my fault that Martin Luther, or whomever, decided that they didn't have a place in the Bible.

Here is a prayer from Sarah and Tobiah's wedding night:

"Blessed are you, O God of our fathers; praised be your name forever and ever. Let the heavens and all your creation praise you forever. You made Adam and you gave him his wife Eve to be his help and support; and from these two the human race descended. You said, 'It is not good for the man to be alone; let us make him a partner like himself.' Now, Lord, you know that I take this wife of mine not because of lust, but for a noble purpose. Call down your mercy on me and on her, and allow us to live together to a happy old age." Tobit 8:5-7


More Wisdom:


"For if you are steadfast in your service, your good works will bring success, not only to you, but also to all those who live uprightly." Tobit 4:6


Tobit's Prayer for Death


"So now, deal with me as you please, and command my life breath to be taken from me, that I may go from the face of this earth into dust. It is better for me to die than to live, because I have heard insulting calumnies, and I am overwhelmed with grief. Lord, command me to be delivered from such anguish, let me go to the everlasting abode; Lord, refuse me not. For it is better to die than to endure so much misery in life, and to hear these insults!" Tobit 3:6


The book itself is relatively short, only 14 chapters, and you can find the whole thing here if you would like to read it all.


Honorable mentions: The Psalms, Gospel of Mark and Revelation


Finally, why The Ten Commandments, to which I say, why not? This movie tells the story of the Book of Exodus, and stars Charlton Heston (Moses), Yul Brynner (Pharaoh Rameses II) and Anne Baxter (Nefertiti), and is just simply awesome! I try to watch all or part of it every year at this time. Fair warning, it is a long movie - coming in at 220 minutes, which is three hours and forty minutes - and worth every single minute. Trust me on this one. 


Honorable mentions: Jesus Christ Superstar, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and The Passion of the Christ.


Now, you may be saying to yourselves, "Roger, buddy, you left out Jesus." I did that on purpose, not to slight my Lord and Saviour but because of who He is. Does that make sense?


Thanks for reading along, and we'll see you next week.

3 comments:

  1. Very sneaky Roger, having an honorable mention category. I am glad that you did post this. I do have a Jerusalem Bible, which is a new translation. As you recommend, I will read the Book of Tobit. This part is an especially lovely sentiment, "Now, Lord, you know that I take this wife of mine not because of lust, but for a noble purpose. Call down your mercy on me and on her, and allow us to live together to a happy old age."

    Thank you for being the host for April. I hope to participate next Monday too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facinating - I've never heard of the Book of Tobit! I will come back and check it out.

    I think most people can relate to Job. Especially these days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone also said, "You learn something new every day" Never heard of the book of Tobit -- at first I didn't know if it had any relation to the Hobbit.

    The saying: God won't give you anything maore than you can handle? It needs to be finished off with "without Him".

    I haven't seem Tecno Dreamcoat, but I'm sure Donny does a great performing job -- still does.

    See you Friday?

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!