Monday, March 2, 2009

Let's Go Green!

Here is a great way of going green that I am sure you will all join me in participating...

"Alright," you say, "You've convinced me about cloth diapers, and I understand using cloth gift bags and napkins. But toilet paper??" For some people, making the switch to cloth toilet wipes is a huge leap, that's true. But it doesn't need to be!

Using cloth toilet wipes actually has many advantages. For one, it's a lot more comfortable and soft on your most delicate body parts. It's also more economical, uses less paper, and saves you those late-night trips to the store. And cloth wipes can be used wet without any of the sopping disintegration that regular toilet paper is prone to. For a discussion of the practical aspects of using cloth toilet wipes, please check out our page detailing How to Use Cloth Wipes.

Lately, with all the media attention, there've been a lot of naysayers talking about the stench. I can honestly say, our wipes don't stink. They don't go into a sealed container. They go into a little (lidded) garbage can in the bathroom. Many people use a wet bag, as pictured below. There is no odor.

You go first! :)



5 comments:

  1. OK Roger, there was no "picture below". What on earth does a wet bag look like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I clicked on the link...
    I often wondered about cloth diapers in the past, but this is NOT something I really thought of...thank goodness they are only advocating "wet only" trip to the bathroom :)
    I don't think I'll be hopping on this "trend"...
    I'l wait a bit.
    Pax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Save Trees? Save money and the Earth and be clean at the same time! Get serious and add Bathroom Bidet Sprayers to all your bathrooms. I think Dr. Oz on Oprah said it best: "if you had pee or poop on your hand, you wouldn't wipe it off with paper, would you? You'd wash it off” Available at www.bathroomsprayers.com with these you won't even need toilet paper any more, just a towel to dry off! Don’t worry, you can still leave some out for guests and can even make it the soft stuff without felling guilty. It's cheap and can be installed without a plumber; and runs off the same water line to your toilet. You'll probably pay for it in a few months of toilet paper savings. And after using one of these you won't know how you lasted all those years with wadded up handfuls of toilet paper. As for water use a drought is always a concern and must be dealt with prudently but please remember that in the big picture the industrial water users always far exceed the water use of household users and in the case of toilet paper manufacture it is huge. The pollution and significant power use from that manufacturing process also contributes to global warming so switching to a hand bidet sprayer and lowering your toilet paper use is very green in multiple ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure what disturbed me more:
    Cloth toilet paper
    Or the ad for the the cloth sandwich wraps right next to it...

    I'm concerned, slightly, about cross contamination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With my household of 13 - soon to be 14 - I'm trying to picture the size of the garbage can we would need in the bathrooms...I'm thinking 20yard dumpster

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!