Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Completely Obnoxious Orangutan Loses Intermediate Naming Game

So the answer to yesterday's trip into subliminal messages via the title of blog posts was....

Bosnia!

Yes, Andy is currently in Bosnia, I think it's real name is Bosnia-Herzegovina, visiting non-approved Marian Apparitions in Medjugorje. I hear that he has even finally written his mother.
She was none too pleased to find out that he updated his Facebook page, BEFORE dropping her a line.

Can't say that I blame her.

He is there praying for anyone that requested it, and for the Cubs - no doubt. I imagine his lack of Cub-news is driving him nuts. The kid has turned into a genuine Cubs fanatic. Who knows, maybe this year is THE year.

Just don't hold your breathe.

I have a question regarding hyphens, that I am opening to the floor... Hello floor?

I know of some friends and acquaintances that go for the whole keeping my name in a hyphen thing. Way cool, if you ask me but what happens if your kids decide to do the same thing, and so on? You could have Jennifer Gerardette Eaton-Devlin-Sauser-Stankevitz marrying Roger William Ballog-Kaesik-Busch-Miller, and our kids would then be Andrew William Eaton-Devlin-Sauser-Stankevitz-Ballog-Kaesik-Busch-Miller.

When do you stop? Would you? If you have a hyphenated name, and your kids have it as well, whose name do they drop? Do the drop the whole hyphen and go with the man's name (if it is a woman)? Do you just keep adding hyphens, like the example above? Whose names go first? I deferred to the female side as going first, but is that correct? Oh I also threw in the middle names, just because.

Imagine the roll call in class; "Andrew William Eaton-Devlin-Sauser-Stankevitz-Kaesik-Ballog-Busch-Miller?"

"Ma'am, that's Andy Eaton=Devlin-Sauser-Stankevitz-Ballog-Kaesik-Busch-Miller."

"Oh, so sorry, you like to be called Andy then, correct?"

On a completely new twist, how can I have two famous brewers of beer names, yet not be in the beer making business? I need to check my family history for sure now --- maybe someone is holding my check. :)

Now go and check this out. Looks like carbon emissions don't have as much to do with the climate after all. But we should definitely ban those pesky bonfires. Oh and while we're at it, let's see if we can make the lightning stop starting forest fires, and let's not forget those annoyingly beautiful volcanoes that erupt - for no reason at all.

Time to go back to the silly stuff.

Where's my Diet Coke?!?

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I hyphenated when I got married. The kids? They just got their father's surname. I just didn't see a reason to give up my name, but I still wanted to be a part of my new 'group' too. To each his own I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason hyphen were in my mind, maybe it's because my son is in Bosnia-Herzegovina, or maybe because my idle mind decided to have a little fun.

    Plus, I couldn't remember what culture it is that likes to carry on the family names, kind of cool if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the hyphenated names in the military. Try fitting that onto a little six inch name tag!

    I was fine with dropping my maiden name Snyder and going with my married name Best! I couldn't have done much better!

    Very funny post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so much easier to change my name to hubby's rather the hypphenate it when I was in the army. Crichton-Stankavage would have been a little too long for the name tags. I kept my middle name, not the maiden name as my middle initial, just to be different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look to much Portuguese or Brasilian Football! All the players of these teams have nickname cause there won't be enough place on their sport shirts. For Instance The famous Ronaldo who has succeeded yesterday is for real Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro.
    My son who's collecting cards of football players gets all their names, it's so.....Portuguese!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's one I think Catherine - which makes sense why we have players like Ronaldo, and Pepe and Kaka right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never really understood hyphenating...well maybe with Bosni-H....(sp?).
    You carcked me up today.
    Hope all is well on Andy's trip. I have a friend who goes over OFTEN.
    He started a Non-Profit Org that collects medical supplies, money, clothes and bicycles for Bosnian refugees that are still living in one room tin houses since the war so many years ago. Very cool.
    Blessings, E

    ReplyDelete

Hello, this is the section where you tell me that you LOVE me or HATE me... Either way, please drop me a line and don't be a stranger.

Have a GREAT day!